CDL — Commercial Drivers Part 2


CDL — Commercial Drivers Part 2

Ever hear the phrase “America moves by truck”? Or “if you bought it, a truck brought it”? There are plenty more where those came from and they all have to do with the trucking industry. Now, commercial drivers are not only truck drivers… this type of driver’s license include many types of commercial vehicles besides trucks.

In the U.S., you need a CDL in order to operate a vehicle of 26,001 pounds or more for commercial purposes. Transporting quantities of hazardous materials that require Department of Transportation warning placards or vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver… need a CDL. It’s been the law since 1986 and it’s meant to keep our highways safe by requiring professional drivers to have the adequate training to handle the type of vehicles they drive. So seeing the importance of commercial vehicles we can almost understand that the rules of the road are different for them… in California, if they get a moving violation they are not allowed to do traffic school, instead of one point drivers get a point and a half.

OK, so maybe it’s all meant to make sure they drive better than the rest of us but then again it hardly seems fair to penalize more harshly those who are so important to our economy and who could lose their jobs because of said penalties. Speaking recently to M and J, two truckers I happen to know, they were telling me how the stretch on Highway 5 known as the Grapevine (in Kern County) is heavily patrolled by the CHP and where a vast amount of tickets are handed out. They also told me that many of the CHP officers are actually supportive and willing to give a driver a break when deserved. Good thing that law enforcement is helping move America on the wheels of the hardworking men and women who make it all come together. If you have any good stories about getting tickets or not getting them on the road… let me know.

Leave a Comment